About Me

My photo
My passion is Creating! I have been fortunate to work with some of the leaders in the Craft and Hobby Industry. See my Creative Resume by clicking on "My Creative Resume".

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Dreamweaver Color Way Challenge! Teal & Silver

I am pretty excited for this weeks color way challenge.  We were to use Teal and Silver!  I decided to add some "sparkle" to a frame I had been working on.  

I started with a frame from a hobby store and this is how it turned out!
This frame is available for purchase at my Etsy Shop!
So now for the step by step!
1. I sanded the frame to get the rough areas smooth and more uniform then I painted the frame with metallic acrylic paints and let dry.
2. While the paint was drying I started looking through my paper collection to see what struck my fancy.  I found the paper I wanted to use, and I am sorry, I believe this paper is either DCWV or K & Co.  I have slept since I made the base for this frame. 
3. I used the wonderful NEW Mixed Media Adhesive by my friend and creative genius Pam Carriker.  This is the best adhesive I have found to work in mixed media.  I started piecing the paper to the frame making sure to cover the areas with the adhesive in between layers.  I LOVE the layered look it created!  Let Dry.
4. Do the same for the back of the frame. As you can see I do a lot of tearing.  Once the piece is completely dry trim the edges.
5. I decided with the bird in the corner on the front that I needed flowing stencils for the design so I chose LJ896 - Flourish & LG713 Small Flourish from Dreamweaver Stencils!  I did the large flourish first in DGWP Glossy White Embossing Paste then used glitter from Art Institute sprinkled over the image while the paste was still wet. 
6. I SHOULD have waited until the corner was dry before attempting to apply paste to the smaller flourish, but I am instant gratification so applied the same paste to the stencil in two areas VERY carefully and sprinkled with two colors of glitter!
7.  I did wipe off the excess paste that sneaked through the stencil on to the frame and set it aside to dry.
8. Once completely dry I sprayed with a coat of clear Krylon paint.

PS.  Tim Holtz has posted his First of 12 Tags of Christmas..without knowing he did our Colorway Challenge!  You could easily use the snowflake stencil featured in Laura's blog to do the same background!  So cool!  BTW...Tim says it is GREAT to share the photo of the finished but click on his name above for the link to his blog and the FAB instructions.


Thanks for stopping by today and tune it tomorrow for a different frame with a link to a fantastic company! 

Happy Creating!
Kristi

6 comments:

  1. Just lovely, Kristi. You found the perfect papers in your stash! The bird and text opposite the glittered swirls are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty Kristi, I really like the torn paper look around the frame and the touch of glitter on the flourishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful frame, Kristi! Love the shades of blues and greens with the silver sparkle! Great step out instructions with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi...soooo cooool what you have done with these mirror frames! Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo pretty Kristi!! I am loving all of your frames!! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete

How has this inspired you?