About Me

My photo
My passion is Creating! I have been fortunate to work with some of the leaders in the Craft and Hobby Industry. See my Creative Resume by clicking on "My Creative Resume".

Monday, June 6, 2011

Thank you Jill Berry! This is from her blog!

Copyrights, and some of my feelings


Posted on June 6, 2011 - Filed Under Uncategorized

This last week has been a bit rough. I found out a student from one of my classes took the project from the class and entered it in a show on the best of design.



This was a kit that I made, based on an original piece of art, a book, that is now owned by the Denver Public Library. The entire structure was designed and manufactured by me. She says she did not know this was the wrong thing to do. If that is the case, we need a whole lot more educating going on for both teachers and students on the copyright issue.



Here is my analogy. I go to music camp, and take a class from Sting. He has just written a new song, and he teaches it to the class. We sing our hearts out and learn about phrasing, poetry and pitch. After camp I apply for American Idol, a show they are doing on original songs. I get up on the stage and belt out the song I just learned from Sting. Sting would not like this. His lawyers might like it though.



Simply put, you cannot put your name on someone else’s work.



Two fine wordsmiths I know have written brilliant articles on this subject.

Quinn McDonald—Creation and the Kit and RicĂ« Freeman-Zachary—You Already Know the Answer. I do not need to repeat any of their words, but I will speak from the heart.



This week has been painful. I do not like to burn bridges, worry about teaching, stealing, or losing friends. This is not a situation I wish on any teacher or student that I know. If teachers have to worry about this kind of behavior, they will not teach you anything that burns deep for them. As a matter of fact, it has made me rethink how I will move forward as a teacher. This student asked why I taught the class to begin with if I did not want this to happen. Really?



There are many gray areas in the arena of art copyright, many. We all have to do the best we can with what we know, and strive to know more.

Thank you for your support.

also check out
http://www.createmixedmedia.com/blogs/the-creative-life/you-already-know-the-answer and http://quinncreative.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/creation-and-the-kit/ for more on the subject.  GREAT women with wonderful things to say!

1 comment:

  1. what more can you say!!! If you like a project that ypu've been taught change it to make it yours and then give credit for the desighn to the person who taught you.

    ReplyDelete

How has this inspired you?